Welcome to the
American Legion Post 428 in Ontario, NY
The American Legion is a nonpartisan,
not-for-profit organization with great political influence perpetuated by its grass-roots involvement in the legislation process from local districts to Capitol Hill.
The History behind
Meyers Ingraham American Legion Post #428
On March 15th, 1919, a group of veterans assembled to form a new Veterans Organization. At the end of three days, the basic principles of the organization and the name was decided,
"The American Legion"
On September 16, 1919 the Congress of the United States granted a Charter to this American Legion.
On September 8, 1919 , Ontario NY veterans applied for a charter as "Marine M Meyers Post".
Named for the first veteran from Ontario who was killed in WWI on November 6, 1918 . Seventy-nine Ontario NY, boys served their country in WWI, and three of these gave their lives.
"Marine Meyers" "Edward Brusso" "Henry Stuffels"
The permanent Charter was granted June 18, 1923 as
"Marine M Meyers Post #428"
Over time the Post became inactive and turned in their Charter May 1, 1942. At which time many of the Ontario boys then transferred to Williamson Post #394 at the closing of Post #428.
When veterans started returning home after WWII, it was decided that the Post should be reopened. The first application to re-charter the post was dated December 13, 1945, and included Robert Ingraham. Ontario's first veteran to be killed during WWII. The new and permanent Charter was granted March 5, 1947 as,
"Meyers-Ingraham Post #428"
In 1947 the Post started a American Legion Building Project. Through contributions of the townspeople and local organizations, the Post was able to use funds raised to buy a Home located on 28 East Main Street in Ontario from Joseph and Josephine Mammano.
In 1950 the home was sold and the Charter was moved to it's final location on Knickerbocker Rd. This new building was a Pickle storage warehouse which was being used as a roller skating rink at time of purchase.
The Legion family and township pulled together to do the first of many upgrades to their new home.
"The American Legion Auxilliary" Meyers-Ingraham unit#428,
was formed and was granted their permanent Charter on March 5th,1958. Working hand and hand threw out the years with the legion to help support Ontario and the veterans within.
"Son's of the American Legion Post #428" (S.A.L)
was formed and recieved their charter on Febuary 10, 2001. SAL has been an inter-cal part of American Legion family working not only within the legion its self but with county and national SAL Programs also. Always there to lend a hand when needed..
Newly Elected Officers
Wayne County Legion OFFICERS FOR 2019-2020
James (Jimmy) Gallaher
From Meyer Imgraham.
|Wayne County Legion Officers|
|Commander: Jerry Lamb|
Wayne County SAL Officers||Wayne County Aux officers|
Commander: Denny Coyle.
1st Vice: Bill Campbell.
Adjutant: Daniel Ritz
Fun for everyone,
Stop in and meet us sometime.
We are always looking for new members.